Thursday, October 8, 2015

A State of Sunshine


Sweet sunshine ushers in the mornings now.
We're back in our winter quarters,
where we're called "sweetheart" when we get our flu shots
 and "honey" while paying bills at the cash register.
Handwritten signs say, "Welcome, snowbirds! We've missed you!"


Lawn mowers buzz about (there's been so much rain).
Buckets of bottles/cans and barrels of lawn refuse line the curbs
 because today is garbage day.
Pickers continue to drive by in their trucks looking for treasure~~
metal to salvage and turn into dollars. Maybe a cool piece of furniture to redo.
 
Tony, out in his front yard, is hanging Halloween ghosts and goblins
in his live oak tree. It's scary watching a guy with 7 screws in his back
(from a bad motorcycle accident) climb a tall ladder into leafy heights.
 
I've been binging on Reign, a glitzy UK series about Mary, Queen of Scots and am ready for the third season to open tonight (love the 16th century architecture, sets, and costume parade that's quite incorrect for historical times but, nevertheless, fun to watch).

The real project, though, is the November 14 bazaar I'm chairing...
big organizational meeting with the Outreach Committee at Fellowship Hall today.
We're doing a fund-raiser for the Lutheran Churches of Haiti.
 
Hope all is well with you this fall,
in spite of the disasters that plague our world.

+++

6 comments:

tammy j said...

always love gliimpses of your winterhome cottage.
never disappointed.
i also live in the land of "honey" and "sweetie pie" LOL.
though i'm not a snowbird.
but one can always hope. :)
xo

rosaria williams said...

In spite of disasters that plague the world, I'm well, and glad to see you buzzing about. Love your table vignette, btw.

yaya said...

Time to live vicariously through you while I freeze up North! Right now our weather has been wonderful and the colors glorious...but I know what's coming! Sounds like you're back in the action of your second home. Glad you're welcomed back by the locals! My brother moved to Coral Gables full-time after his Illinois home sold. Perhaps we'll get down there to visit one of these days!

Leslie said...

Such a bright post, in photo and word! (We have had lots of rain - it made the summer go by so much faster.)

Nib's End said...

I always enjoy your descriptions of everyday things. I try to imagine what it would be like to live in perpetual summer and you take me there.

I've been thinking of Haiti myself as my niece and her husband have packed up their lives and their three small children and are moving there this week. Her husband was raised in Haiti and his family still live there. She is a doctor and is going to work in an orphan hospital.

Lucinda Keller said...

My mom yells at my dad "stay off the ladder!" But I don't think he listens. Hope it all went well and you had a fun Halloween!

I am very interested in the Historical Drama series! I wonder if I can get it on Netflix?

Happy fall to you!!!! :)