Sunday, February 8, 2015

An Airing of the Quilts

  
It was a glorious Saturday for a stroll and show.
 Visitors from everywhere flocked to our bright flags of fabric at Maxine Barritt Park
 along Venice's sparkling sea-blue coast.


A king-size bed cover, hung at the front of the park pavilion,
 showed colors and patterns of what we call "modern" quilting.

Each member of the Sarasota Modern Quilt Guild made a block for this group quilt.





"Ode To Gee's Bend"

Not as bright as the others, my quilt was patched together from used clothing purchased at a Salvation Army store. I'm an admirer of the quilters of Gee's Bend, Alabama who gained national recognition for their improvisational and modern work at the Whitney Museum in NYC. I wanted to experience a bit of what they did while recycling old work clothes into quilts.

Altogether, our show consisted of about 150 quilts,
 winds for the airing at a gentle 9 mph, and temps in the inviting low 70s.
 This post is but a glimpse.
Wish you could have been there for this lovely day in Paradise...
 
 

15 comments:

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Beautiful quilts....yours is beautiful!! I are impressed!!

Lorlee Bartos said...

What wonderful creativity.

Dewena said...

I love the colors in your quilt and would be tempted to tuck a love note in each pocket to be found decades from now by some lucky great-grandchild.

It must have been a splendid day, would have enjoyed being there.

Nib's End said...

Oh, I wish I could have been there too. I am color starved at the moment.

A couple of years ago, a kind woman gave me a throw-sized quilt she had made from Indonesian batik fabrics. Each piece has a pattern that looks like it was inspired by nature. I can't get enough of looking at that quilt. It is so beautiful it makes me ache.

Enjoying your photo quilts in the same way.

Dewena's notes in the pockets idea is entrancing.

yaya said...

Thanks for taking me along with you on a stroll through a fantastic display of beautiful quilts! I do wish I could have felt the warm gentle breeze! What a fun afternoon! I think your quilt is really pretty. Reminds me of the Amish quilts you'd find in my neck of the woods.

jmac said...

We must truly be soul sisters for even before I read your words, my gut went straight to the muted, gray tones of the quilt YOU made!!
I do love color but for some reason I kinda swooned over yours. And then chuckled when I read that it was yours!
I love quilt shows.....and outside on a calm sunny day??? Perfecto!!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Oh wow I really love these quilts!!

tammy j said...

how funny!
i scrolled through all of them to pick my favorites...
the first one and the last one.
then i went back and read the post. and yours is the last one!
well.
might have known! my dearest bean!
and the thought of little love notes tucked in the pockets... just like dewena to think of something lovely like that!
what a beautiful beautiful day it was! i would love to have seen them all. XOXO♥

Midlife Roadtripper said...

I loved being there for what you showed us. I'd love to be a quilter. I don't know that my fingers work well enough to sew those tiny stitches though. All are beautiful. I'd love to own some of those.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

So beautiful.

Fondly,
Glenda

roamingpursuits said...

Beautiful and colourful quilts.

Lucinda Keller said...

Love how different and unique they are! especially yours! Super cool and modern but vintagey too. So cool.

Debbie said...

Wow...those are beautiful pieces of art! You know what? When I got to the last image, I actually liked that quilt the best!!and lo and behold, it was yours, Becky!!! Oh my!! What a unique piece! I LOVE it!
Perfect day, for a perfect event.
Love to you, dear friend.
Debbie
xo

rosaria williams said...

Most impressed! Love the whole idea of designing and constructing a quilt. Too bad I never learned the fine art.

Leslie said...

This is amazing. I love quilts. And yours is just splendid. A work of art for your home.