Tuesday, March 4, 2014

It's National Pancake Day!

Who knew?! Maybe IHop started it.
Or maybe it's an adaptation of England's Shrove Tuesday,
the day before Ash Wednesday when pancakes are eaten.

In Venezia, they call this day Mardi Gras, the last day of Carnevale.

We visited Venezia in 2009.


It' Fat Tuesday in New Orleans, Key West and other convivial towns~~
the last chance to indulge in fats and sweets before Lent begins.

We live in Venice, Florida, named after Venezia.
 We fancy ourselves somewhat Venetian with canals and waterways, boat parades,
 Italianate architecture and a local newspaper called The Gondolier.


 Few of us wear these masks (mine hang on a hook by the door)
 but it's a fun decorative celebration of feathers and sequins.

There will be a pancake supper at church tonight ~~
we'll wear our beads :)

8 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I'll have some cinnamon pancakes please and thanks :)

S. Etole said...

All of a sudden I've developed a wish for pancakes for breakfast!

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Sounds like fun to me!

tammy j said...

OH!
i want to wear a mask!
and i want to wear beads!
and most of all
i want to go to venezia!
and
your own venezia would do!!!
just BEAUTIFULLY!
XO
p.s.
don't get your beads in the syrup.

Nib's End said...

Oh, if only I had known earlier; I would have made pancakes for breakfast instead of eating that sad little bowl of Cheerios. I was in a hurry, you see. But you have given me an idea of what I can make for supper. It seems almost patriotic to make pancakes for supper when a whole day has been set aside to observe them.

Rick Watson said...

I was in Panama for Carnaval in 1972. It was a strange and wonderful experience.

Stan said...

The pancakes look great, but Kathleen's eye went straight to the Staffordshire Calico china. Is there more?
Stan

Lucinda Keller said...

Love that!
What a fun way to spend fat tuesday, with pancakes!
I've been to New Orleans but never to Mardi Gras. I think it would be just too crazy. Would love to go to Venice for Carnivale to see all the costumes!

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the pancakes! :)