Monday, January 27, 2014

Finding Balance

 
A well-developed sense of humor is the pole that adds balance
to your steps as you walk the tightrope of life.
~~William Arthur Ward
Clowning around: A balancing act in front of Les Chefs de France bistro at Epcot (Disney World).
Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
~~Thomas Merton
 
A third kind of balancing act from my #1 mentor:
 
What I dream of is an art of balance, of purity and serenity devoid of troubling or depressing subject matter~~a soothing, calming influence on the mind, rather like a good armchair which provides
relaxation from physical fatigue.
~~Henri Matisse
 
 
+++

7 comments:

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Ahh. sweet sweet balance.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

My question is...how on earth did he get to the top??

jmac said...

Balance. *sigh...what a concept. Can it be explained? Is it the symmetry of having the mantle evened out with like objects on each end? Is it the man on the tightrope or on top of chairs at Disney world??
Or is it the feel-good evened out feeling in one's gut that reminds the brain that life is good? That come what may...one can handle anything that is thrown one's way.
With an even keel of success.
Success being the operative word depending on each individual.
Balance: maybe the hardest feat to accomplish but when it is....it's oh so sweet!

tammy j said...

amazing!
i don't seem to have trouble balancing so much anymore. i think retirement helps one there. but then for others perhaps not.
it's the young couples with children and stressful jobs that have trouble balancing . . .
and frankly . . .
i don't see how they do it either!

RuneE said...

As I see that guy, I think that I'll try to keep my balance in an armchair :-)

rosaria williams said...

What an interesting (unbelievable)picture. We feel that need all the time, don't we? Yet, we crave what's out of our reach, possibly unsettling that precarious balance we so need.

yaya said...

Sometimes in life we take the risk of getting out of balance. When I saw that pic all I could think of was how I hate ladders! I always say "ladders are evil" because of all the fractures we do at the hospital because people feel the need to climb them and then they lose their balance! I crave balance in my life and enjoy the peace and quiet of stability!