Sunday, December 8, 2013

Countdown, Day 8: Bread & Wine


She had me at "bread & wine".
And I kept reading...


 "I'm a bread person~~crusty, golden baguette; hearty, grainy, seeded loaves; thin, crispy pizza crust~~all of it. Flaky, buttery croissants; chewy pita; tortillas, warm and fragrant, blistered by heat. And I am a wine person~~the blood-red and liquid gold, the clink and glamour of tall-stemmed glasses, and the musty, rich, almost mushroomy-y smell.
Like every Christian, I recognize the two as something much greater~~mystery and tradition and symbol. Bread is bread, and wine is wine, but bread-and-wine is another thing entirely. The two together are the sacred and the material at once, the heaven and earth, the divine and the daily."
~~Shauna Niequist

One reviewer summarizes the book:

"...A poetic reminder to appreciate the rituals,
 people and sensory experiences of our everyday life."
~~Kelle Hampton

4 comments:

tammy j said...

this post is a gift.
and
i didn't even have to unwrap it.
i love the abbey.
i love you.
thank you! ♥

rosaria williams said...

To appreciate the rituals...
They will become our memory; things we pass on and become chains of identity.
Wonderful.

S. Etole said...

Bread and wine ... the feast of victory.

Dewena Callis said...

I agree with what she wrote in this excerpt wholeheartedly. I would love to read the whole book.