Sunday, December 1, 2013

Countdown, Day 1: Light & Hope


It is the beautiful task of Advent to awaken in all of us
 memories of goodness and thus open the doors to hope.
~~Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger

It's the first day of Advent, December 1,
the first Sunday of the month,
the day for lighting the first candle of Advent.
How delighted I am that the Advent season begins on the first of the month,
 making the numbers of my Countdown to Christmas so simple!


Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and 
do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work:
 You don't give up.
~~Anne Lamott

+++

9 comments:

S. Etole said...

Waiting and watching with you this Advent season.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Only 23 days, 15 hours, 1 minute, and 17 seconds til Christmas :)

Dewena Callis said...

I love that Advent begins on the first day of December this year. I posted about it too, meant to write about the Advent wreaths our children and I made for so many years with beautiful pink and purple heathers but could not find the pictures that I had put in a safe place--too safe to find! So instead I wrote of how I will observe it this year.

It is nice to begin on a day less hectic than a weekday, with time to withdraw and be quiet. I was so pleased when I saw that you will be observing it today also, Becky.

Dewena

donna baker said...

Love the rituals.

tammy j said...

i always await your advent posts with pure anticipatory delight!
i'm never disappointed.
i have to write down this wonderful quote. i need to read it often.
xo

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Advent - my first candle is burning.

yaya said...

Such a beautiful and peaceful photo to send us on to Advent. Have a wonderful week!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

This quote is beautiful.

Fondly,
Glenda

Leslie said...

i love this. we all wait for the dawn...