Wednesday, November 20, 2013

My New Confessor

Recently, Amanda, an attractive thirty-year-old neighbor, asked me to go for walks with her~~
says she needs a friend and is looking for things to do after work to get her off the sofa. 

So we walk, talk, and laugh every Thursday evening.
It amuses me that she appears to enjoy my company.
After all, I'm old enough to be her mother.
That's probably the case~~her mom moved to Georgia and I'm a temporary replacement.

Glad to comply.
It adds to miles walked per week and Amanda laughs when I tell my stories, thinks I'm funny!
We talk about neighborhood happenings. We talk about food. And when she asks for decorating advice, I'm happy for the opportunity to keep my hand in the game.

It's rather like a confessional, these walks.
Listening and talking.
Talking and listening.

This week, she tells me she's making cheesecake for Thanksgiving. She doesn't want to make a whole turkey because it's "just Arthur and me, you know."
She wanted to know if my church serves a Thanksgiving feast for needy people.
If so, she'd like to help serve it because it would be a way for her to "give back."
She reminds me to be thankful.

I tell her I'm grateful for a brother who comes for turkey and all the fixin's
but confess that I'm a frightened cook, intimidated by the idea of assembling a full-out feast.
Then I confess that my turkey dinner for four will be outsourced~~


~~if I'm grateful for anything this week, it's CARRY OUT!

Instead of agonizing alone in the kitchen,
I'll be counting my blessings and enjoying the conversation.

I wonder if Amanda and Arthur would like to join us for this American holiday...

+++




15 comments:

Midlife Roadtripper said...

I'm thinking they would like to join you. Never know til you ask. When we were young, my husband always had Thanksgiving dinners for large groups - all people who had no where to go, just like us.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I most definitely think it would be awesome to invite them over!!

S. Etole said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate a day of giving thanks.

rosaria williams said...

The more, the merrier, I say, especially when there will always be enough food for a crowd and for sandwiches the next day. It seems to me that having a companion for long walks helps tremendously. Soon, you and she will forget that difference in age.

tammy j said...

you are my kinda girl!!! LOL
god bless carry out.
i'm all for enjoying the day.
and I think the day would be even better with Amanda and her Arthur.
love
xo

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

YES....extend the invite! It is a day of communing, afterall.

Plus....You would get a piece of homemade cheesecake out of it. Win win!

donna baker said...

I definitely would not cook a Thanksgiving dinner for two.

Nib's End said...

Having once been the stray cats in the neighborhood, our family knows how the kindness of a holiday invitation feels. It feels like sitting at the table instead of standing outside on the sidewalk looking in through the window.

yaya said...

Oh, I would invite them for dinner...and I would also invite the cheesecake she's making! Nothing better than a good walking buddy!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I love this so much. I have many relationships with young girls in this big city. They all miss their moms and they bring me so much joy, too.

An evening walk sounds fun.

Fondly,
Glenda

Dewena Callis said...

That just goes to show that age differences disappear when kindred spirits meet.

A wonderful Thanksgiving Day to you and your guests, whether you cooked the turkey or not!

Dewena

Cobalt Violet said...

Yes! All together!!!
Wonderful idea. My friend Evelyn says it's always good to invite people to Thanksgiving. I think so too!

That Turkey photo is making me hungry ... and I just ate.

:)

jmac said...

Having she and her Arthur would be YOUR way of giving back!!

All of my friends are younger than me. My BFF is 13 yrs younger and I feel like we're the same person! even funnier?? we met online thru a book club!!

I wish I lived closer.....I'd come too!!! heheheheh....see? I even invite myownself!!

RuneE said...

I guess everybody will be happy if you do - maybe with the exception of the turkey :-)

Beth said...

Sounds like a wonderful relationship. I would welcome a thirty-some yr.-old as I miss my daughter who is far away in Texas.

My husband's family outsources also. When I retire I want to have Tday at my house again---I actually love doing that feast! :>)