Sunday, September 1, 2013

Seeduction

This isn't the first time I've been seduced by an attractive loaf of bread.

I can't walk past a good bakery counter without being tempted.
Bread is a big no-no on my doctor-prescribed low-carb diet
but, despite the warnings, look what came home with me! 
The crunchy textures and gorgeous crust of this Seeduction loaf
were irresistible and I surrendered.

Ingredients listed on the  Seeduction label: Organic whole wheat flour, water, millet, honey, canola oil, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, poppy seeds, molasses, sea salt, fresh yeast.
Originally, I came to the store to find seeds prescribed by Dr. Andrew Weil's Guide to Healthy Eating~~chia, hemp and flax. It seems they're rich in antioxidants, have high-fiber content, and are precursors to omega-3 fatty acids.

Here's what I selected:
Left: Chia, buckwheat & hemp cereal (2 tablespoons + 4-5 tablespoons milk = 1 serving). Top right: A shot of chia seeds, great on a serving of cereal, yogurt, or salad. Bottom right: Salad topping mix of sesame nuggets and seeds, bulgar wheat, turmeric, sunflower seeds and bacon bits. Tasty.
 With my seed mission accomplished,
I was side-tracked by the beautiful breads in the bakery.
Especially the loaves with seeds on top.
I picked up a loaf marked Seeduction.

The affair was brief.
Thick slices went down in a few heady days of indulgence.
With a little red wine.

 I'm back on the diet wagon again.
As they always say, today is a new day.

+++

14 comments:

rosaria williams said...

Oh my!

S. Etole said...

That looks delicious.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

What a delicious grainy change of pace.

Fondly,
Glenda

Rachel Cotterill said...

Mmm, that does look like a loaf worth breaking your diet for! :) Hopefully you can find some other imaginative seedy recipes that haven't got any problematic ingredients...

Dimple said...

It all looks delicious!

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

A brief but important affair, no?

Jeanne Henriques said...

I am with you Becky and was tempted by the very same yesterday..I do not often eat bread but when I do I want it to be filled with good things. It was worth every last bite. xx

Cobalt Violet said...

I have been off wheat/gluten/flour/grain/yeast since mid July! I miss it and this looks sooooo good!!!!!
I'm also craving pizza.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Now I'm hungry after reading this post LOL.

Leslie said...

That bread looks marvelous. No wonder you were tempted!

tammy j said...

the bread.
the knife!
the wooden tree tray.
the simplicity of the clay bowls.
it is the abbey.
and i am blessed.
xoxo

RuneE said...

Seeing such a bread I would just say: Drat the diet and live your life when you have it.

Nib's End said...

Bread, like people, is usually more agreeable with substance. Bread, unlike people, is usually more agreeable with a layer of butter slathered on top.

Dewena Callis said...

A week ago I couldn't have looked at this loaf of bread without crying, but now I'm in Phase II of my new eating plan and am allowed 100% whole grain bread that has no sugar or white flour in it. I would buy a loaf and savor each bite.

I think I'll have to go back to baking bread in my old age. And I'll blame it all on Abbey Style Home!