Monday, August 12, 2013

The Borgias are Back...

...and, I confess, so am I.
***
I can't resist 15th and 16th century intrigue.
The outrageous range of social classes.
Extravagant vs. rustic costumes.
Stunning architecture.
The clash of the privileged, powerful, and perverted.


Season 3 is now out in DVD and I'm picking up where Rodrigo Borgia (played elegantly by Jeremy Irons)
is recovering from an attempt of assassination by poisoning.


Lucrezia, the pope's daughter, is marrying Alfonso of Spain
to benefit "the family".


And Cesare is working all sorts of angles.


Also, The White Queen is now running on Starz.
I don't have that service
 so I've reserved it as a DVD on my Netflix queue.
That'll take 6-8 months.
Meanwhile, I can look forward to Downton Abbey in January!
Not so 15th/16th century but intriguing, all the same.

Oh, wait! My daughter-in-law just invited me to view The White Queen
at her house!

What do you find intriguing in movies?

+++

7 comments:

donna baker said...

All of the above! Also, Divinci's Demons was a good show. I am sad to see the Borgia's end. Can't wait for the others to return. Max Irons is the King in The White Queen and is gorgeous. Also, David Oakley, who was Cesare's brother in the Borgias is playing Edward's brother. Love how those Brits keep playing in other shows. Did you watch Pillars Of The Earth. Very good.

Becky Jerdee said...

Hi Donna,
Thanks for stopping by :) Yes, Pillars of the Earth! Fabulous. Read the book, ordered the Netflix. Heavy-duty though, some of it's so shocking, I have to stop and take a breath after each episode.

Linda said...

We are nearly at the end of the series of The White Queen on regular tv in the UK and we've enjoyed seeing some of it. It's been easier to follow because I've read the novel and other background books. Enjoy! I have not seen the Borgias as it's on cable tv, but a fascinating historical period!

yaya said...

I haven't seen any of the movies you mentioned..except Downton Abbey of course! I need to check these out!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I need to find this show. What channel is it on?? I will see if I can find the seasons on AMAZON on DVD.

Dewena Callis said...

I bet I'd love this! The pomp of it and the costumes. I've always thought anything about the Borgias would be too depressing but Irons is such a good actor, so deliciously cold when he wants to be, that I must try it.

Cobalt Violet said...

OMG I LOVED the Borgias ... and Rome. So good and so bummed they didn't keep going. I am going to have to rent the White Queen, as well. I am looking forward to Downton in January but it's going to be sad, right? Sigh. i will have to check out Pillars, but what is DaVinci's demons? Getting a lot out of the conversation! ;)