Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Vernal Equinox

O happy day! (an expression my mother uses)
With day and night of equal length, spring arrives and
I feel revived~~Florida is busy awakening in subtle ways.

Spring is when life's alive in everything.
~Christina Rossetti

Primavera by Sandro Botticelli

The day-laborer is reckoned as standing at the foot of the social scale,
yet he is saturated with the laws of the world.
His measures are the hours; 
morning and night,
solstice and equinox,
geometry, astronomy,
and all the lovely accidents of nature play through his mind.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 comments:

S. Etole said...

Even though it's the first day of spring we're still buried in snow. But it's promising.

RuneE said...

It should be the first day of spring here too, but today I doubt it :-)

TSL said...

Oh joy oh joy oh joy, my heart is happy for all the renewal!

yaya said...

I hope where you are it's beautiful and warm and sunny and spring-like...not here yet but I never give up hope!

Linda said...

I love this painting, Becky. An Italian sister-in-law has a copy in her home and my thoughts turn to Springtime in Italy!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Well the calendar says spring but the snow here says otherwise :)

Dewena Callis said...

I've got to write down the Emerson lines! My husband and sons labour outside all the time. We specialize in steel metal shingles and slate roofs for our area and are grouped in the minds of most people as laborers. Few people realize that because they do work outside they are so attuned to nature all around them and the change of the seasons.

And one of our clients, the wife of a former governor, told her bridge group that her roofers play chess on their lunch break!

Many of our customers bring out cookies hot out of the oven for our men and say they miss them when they finish. Their dogs miss them too! Of course there are some people who only see them as Emerson's day laborers, at the bottom of the social scale.