Friday, January 18, 2013

Abbey Style, Disney Version

  
Once a year, we slip away to the land of fantasy.
Marathon Weekend at Disney World~~after our races are run~~
ends in a visit to one of the Disney parks.
This year, Magic Kingdom was our pick,
perhaps because of the Fantasyland revamp we heard would be there. 
  
 
It was my chance for capturing a bit of Disney's re-creation of medieval arhcitecutre,
 thanks to the new venue provided by the Beast of  Beauty and the Beast.
He now invites people into his private castle if they care to dine with him
 in the Ballroom, the West Wing, or the Rose Room.
 
OK, we had no beast-y lunch reservations but I satisfied my appetite with shots of new
abbey-style building blocks, Gothic arches, groin ceilings, iron lanterns and
 a "strip mall" of shops outside the entry gate to the Beast's castle.

 
Across the street from Gaston's Tavern,
 I ducked inside the Bonjour Village Gifts shop for the thrill of leaded glass windows.

 
Someone set a medieval table behind an arched window.

 
 
No horrifying gargoyles support these column caps...bunnies with lop ears go medieval here.

 
Thirsty? Stop in at the Friars' Nook.


 
Not everything was finished in Fantasyland...they're still digging the ground and building the scaffolding for the Barnstormer.
We took a dip Under the Sea where the Little Mermaid found Prince Eric
but missed the cottage where Belle told her story about meeting the Beast.
 
 
+++

13 comments:

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

If I just saw your pictures, I wouldn't imagine you were at Magic Kingdom.

Haven't been to Disneyland since college.

Fondly,
Glenda

Dewena Callis said...

What a fun excursion! I'm always drawn to Gothic architecture but love the lop eared bunnies! Nice getaway through your pictures.

Linda said...

Glad you had a good time in Fantasyland after the races. The experience'Under the Sea' sounds intriguing and the bunnies on the column capitals are great fun!

S. Etole said...

A rather unusual combination of architecture and bunnies! Very magical and intriguing.

Barefoot from Heaven said...

Love it....it's so dreamy. And I saw you even got a glimps of Lumiere in the sec. picture...;-)
I can totaly tell you had fun taking all these beautiful shots.
Thanks for sharing Becky. And how is your husband doing, gettig along better and better every day?
Tell him I said hi.
Hugs Dagmar

RuneE said...

I must admit that Disney has created his own version of the medieval age :-)
I once visited Euro-Disney in Paris ...

tammy j said...

i've never been to any of the disneylands! so that makes your pictures even more enjoyable.
even disney-style . . .
i love the gothic architecture. i think it's some of the most beautiful design man has ever made.
what a lovely tradition ~
the run and the yearly visit there!
xo
tammy j

yaya said...

One of the gals I work with goes to Disney every year and has a time share..I think we need to go back, it's been way too long from the looks of your pics! Enjoy your time there!

Cobalt Violet said...

Good gravy, I just did the math and I was at Disneyworld 26 years ago! I have been to Disney in Anaheim more than a few times though! Much smaller but I always have so much fun and feel like an 8 year old when I'm there! So much fun!

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Well...looky there...It's not all dusty and sticky characters. You found some good stuff Girl! How was the marathon??

The Silver Bunny said...

What fun, I bet you took us all by surprise there ! And those bunnies on ecstasy look as crazed as me when I leave work in the evening !

Rick Watson said...

You might not believe this but we've never been to Disney World.
We have a great nephew that frequently stays with us and he wants to go badly.
I'd love to take him :)

Hanne Bente said...

Hello Becky
Nice pictures you show. 've Looked into your blog several times, but you've had a "little break".
Wish you a good day :) Hugs Hanne Bente