Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Countdown, Day 5: Stars


That I am mortal I know and do confess
My span of day:
But when I gaze upon the thousandfold circling gyre of the stars
No longer do I walk the earth
But rise
The peer of God himself to take my fill
At the ambrosial banquet of the undying.
~~Claudius Ptolemaeus

~~image, wikipedia
 
The First Christmas Tree, a Legend.
It is said that Martin Luther, while walking under a starry sky one Christmas Eve, cut down a tiny
evergreen and took it home to his children. Inspired by the stars on such a sparkling night, he attached candles to the evergreen branches of the little tree and lit them to represent Christ, the Light of the World, born on Christmas Eve.
 
+++

7 comments:

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I think we are having some Florida moments here in Chicago. It has been 70 this week.

I am loving your series. It helps me stop and think about each bit.

Fondly,
Glenda

Beth said...

Love the quote, the photo, and the story. How anyone can look at stars and not believe in God is beyond me. Such awesomeness!
And Christmas trees? Pure delight!

S. Etole said...

I am enjoying this daily series. What a great poem you've shared.

Leslie said...

This is so very lovely. I had a friend from Austria who always attached the little candle holders to her Christmas trees, and lit real candles in them. One year, she lent some to us for our tree... they were beautiful, but of course we couldn't keep them lit for long!

rosaria williams said...

Beautiful!

yaya said...

The pic is beautiful and I never heard that story...thanks for sharing. We often have beautiful starry nights here at the Pines!

Nancy said...

I don't know why I haven't wandered over here in a while, but I'm so glad I stopped by today. This is one of my absolute most favorite Christmas legends--about Martin Luther and the Christmas tree. And you have illustrated it beautifully.

I gotta go check my reader and make sure I get back here more often. Blessings.