Saturday, November 10, 2012

Luna-Tics

When people ask us why we chose Venice as our second home we say that we found Venice, Florida on a list of 10 Best Places To Retire in a travel magazine. We thought it would be fun to visit all ten of the cities and choose the one we liked best. We selected Venice for our first visit because the magazine journalist described it as quirky and quaint~~sounded like a fun way to start.
 Turns out, we never visited another of the 10 Best Places on the list.

Each year when we return to Venice for the winter,
 we revisit our favorite hotspots~~today it's Luna's for lunch.
Back in the day, city planner and architect John Nolen designed Venice's downtown in the Northern Italianate style and to this day, city planners work hard to retain the original style.
 Luna provides a mix of Americana with Italian architecture and food.
 
 
Recently, Luna got a facelift, extending its patio areas for dining.
Across from the Venice Little Theatre, it's a popular night-time, after-the-show stop.


 
 


Poor Francis, looks a little worse for wear.
I guess he wasn't part of the update,.




Inside, Luna is a surprising departure in style~~there's nothing Northern Italianate about it.
Walls are covered in American posters and sports and Hollywood photographs including Marlon Brando as The Godfather saying "I'll make you a....pizza!" The casual, many-roomed place is set up for family dining with a menu of New York Style pizza, and Chicken Marsala, Francais, Piccata, Teresa, Cacciatore, Dante, Parmigiana, Scapariello, Alfredo, Pesto, or Venice.
. Oh, and all the pasta dishes you could ever dream up.
We sat at a pub table with upholstered chairs for a house salad
 served with pesto in a bread basket.
Quaint and Quirky.


Even the ceilings are covered with posters and bric-a-brac.




 
Outside, at Luna's rear,  a spacious new patio is
perfect for sultry nights sipping wine after the theatre closes its curtains.


14 comments:

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I love the story of how you found your town ... or did your town find you?

Fondly,
Glenda

Hanne Bente said...

Good morning Becky
Beautiful photo series showing from Veneci - sun and summer.
Weather here pt: rain / wind + 8, 0 degrees ...... Snuggle time inside.
├śmsker you a good Sunday :)
Hugs Hanne Bente

RuneE said...

I must admit that to us Europeans Venice means Italy :-)
But this looks a fair approximation to Italy!

Hanne Bente said...

Hello Becky
Thanks for your comment.
You're up early at. with you is only 4.35 - you can not sleep anymore?
I am A man, sometimes I'm up at. 5.00, but try to stay in bed for at. 6.00 to 6.15.
Wish you a long good Sunday :)
Hugs Hanne Bente

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

I need to visit this little town! The restaurant looks fab!

S. Etole said...

Almost like traveling overseas; such a beautiful area.

Pooch Purple Reign said...

and a cold stella .... nice !!
Somehow I dont think St`Francis would mind. He wasnt much about the bling
Cheers to a beautiful spot
~ laura xx

yaya said...

As I've said before, I'm going to live this winter through your eyes! So far the view is marvelous and I can almost smell the delish pizza way up here in the North! Beautiful looking place to visit and thanks for sharing the facts about your winter hideaway!

tammy j said...

what an enchanting and fun way to choose a place to live!
i must find out more about the beautiful venice.
these wonderful pictures of yours are only the appetizer! but how delicous they are!!!
thanks!
xo
tam

Dimple said...

Interesting history. The Depression had a profound effect on this country.

Your photos of the planters sent me to your archive: in Jan 2010 you posted a similar view which impressed me (I had to search a little, but I found it!) They were not from Luna, I think.

Blessings to you, my friend!

Linda said...

An evening at the theatre and then over to Luna's for a meal with wine or a Stella on the patio would be my idea of good night out. A pretty choice of masonry paint there, but I'm glad St. Francis didn't get a make-over. I like him as he is!

Hanne Bente said...

Good morning Becky
Just inside to congratulate you on your birthday.
CONGRATULATIONS BECKY - hope you can get a really great day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=ajyPvPKi2GY&NR=1
Hugs Hanne Bente ♥

Leslie said...

looks like a fun place (and perfect weather to enjoy it!)

Barefoot from Heaven said...

jippy what a fun place. Puts a bright smile on my face and how fun would it be to sit there with you guys enjoying a beverage together. Thanks for showing us a part of your world (in winter times).
I'm utterly in love with the first flower pot....do send that one over to me my friend.

Happy weekend Becky.
Hugs Dagmar