Thursday, December 16, 2010

Canapes, Abbey Style

My new cooking mentor is a Benedictine monk
who teaches me from the pages of his book, The Pure Joy of Monastery Cooking.

 Last year, I followed the recipes in Brother Victor-Antoine's 12 Months of Monastery Soup book.
Now I'm into his vegetable side dishes and appetizers--just in time for the holidays.
It's all about using ingredients fresh from a seasonal garden,

slicing bread that comes in round forms,
and keeping kitchen tools simple.
+   +   +
His Asparagus Canapes recipe calls for whole wheat bread but I substituted with an artisan bread--a small, round loaf of multi-grain boule for its rustic texture, look, and taste.


It's pure joy in the making--simple, easy, and quick:
 Parsley buttered bread slices topped with tenderly cooked asparagus spears and grated Gruyere, laid on a buttered cookie sheet, and heated in a 250-degree oven.
Made in minutes...
Tasty and satisfying!

For a book of your own, click on the cover image on my sidebar.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm inspired. Off to go get some of that good stuff. Thanks, Becky. Sister LInda

mermaid gallery said...

I'm always looking for good meatless recipes....the asparagus looks delicious....might be time for a new cookbook. ( and one from a monk would not normally be my choice!)

Dimple said...

This looks yummy! I am definitely not a vegetarian, but I enjoy vegetables, and asparagus is one of my favorites.

mise said...

What a lovely use of asparagus, and I'm so pleased that he's holding a corkscrew.

Tina Steele Lindsey said...

"Awwwwww!" I actually said that aloud, how wonderfully simple and delicious it looks! I am a huge believer in the simple things are the best things. Take cheese pizza, I love it better than a fully loaded pizza. I can't eat pizza any longer (glutens nearly killed me) but I still remember!

S. Etole said...

I shouldn't have come at supper time ... now I'm wishing I had some of that good food!

Jeanne said...

Becky...I love that you are doing this! We both have a higher being in mind these holidays. You might enjoy the post I just wrote VOICES over at www.jeanne-findingmyway.blogspot.com. Music to cook by :)

Best wishes Becky to you and your family for a wonderful Christmas.

Happy Cooking!!

Jeanne xx

Linda P said...

This looks delicious. My daughter is a vegetarian and she also makes and serves simple, yummy food. She would enjoy this wholesome recipe.

Shellbelle said...

I have a passion for asparagus, this recipe reminds me of one of my favorite breakfasts — Gruyere and asparagus in an egg white omelet. Simple is the way I like to go most days now that I'm older and usually just cooking for one. Something like the recipe you shared makes a perfect meal and my hips like it so much better. Thanks for sharing.

Turquoise Diaries said...

Those canapes looks great. I bet they are delicious,too. I will sure try them soon..Great idea..

mimi said...

Becky, those canapes look amazing! I can just see you enjoying them at a cozy table, perhaps a glass of wine too! Definately got my creative juices flowing!

RuneE said...

It looks delicious, but I was fascinated by that corkscrew...

Stacey Dawn said...

Yum!

Barefoot from Heaven said...

Hmmm did you save me any of this godness great food? Looks wonderful. Hugs

Anonymous said...

Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

- Daniel