Thursday, November 11, 2010

Pouring Wine, Abbey Style

I love an excuse to pour a glass of wine.

When it's the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month,
it's time to taste the new wine--An ancient European feast day, Martinmas  marked
 the end of field work and the beginning of winter. It was (and is) celebrated in various ways.

I like Portugal's simple celebration:
Associated with the maturation of the year's wine,
 St. Martin's is the first day for tasting it.
 Around a bonfire, chestnuts roast under the embers
while a local light alcoholic beverage called "foot water" is poured.
 A little ditty goes:

It is St. Martin's Day,
we'll eat chestnuts, we'll taste the wine.

+   +   +
In the United States of America, 11/11 is celebrated as Veterans' Day.
So...
at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month,
 I drink a toast to those who so valiantly served.

Pax vobiscum.
+++


9 comments:

Susan Erickson said...

Remembering those that defended our countries is so important....such a sacrifice....so very sad...I'm sure the wine will be a wonderful tribute.....

lakeviewer said...

Amen!

S. Etole said...

a nice tribute to those who gave so much ...

emily wierenga said...

i love this, friend, and i hope you will link it up with imperfect prose... there is no fear there, because it's all about being imperfect, together. a broken yet beautiful community. adn there is such beauty, here. xo

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Darn I missed it! Always one for a good taste!

Tipping my glass to all of our veterans!

ELK said...

cheers! me too! those are such lovely thoughts next to the exquisite goblets...beauty and love here today!!

Pooch Purple Reign said...

cheers to that!!
~laura

Barefoot from Heaven said...

What a way to remeber, all...
Love the silver cups were on earth did you find those.

Thanks Becky for your constant support and wonderful uplifting words you seems to find to leave behind on my blog again and again.
I love you for that.
Sweet blessed hugs
Dagmar

mise said...

I can just imagine all the wonderful natural minerals leaching from these beautiful goblets to my wine, encouraging me to have another glass for the sake of my health.