Wednesday, September 15, 2010

BABY GRACE


He smiles up at me from his playtime saucer, amused.
 Shyly, I sing to him, buoyed by the music from a compact-disc player nearby and, as I float along on a blissful flute melody, his eyes light up and his expression changes to something resembling rapture--
a wondrous look I've not seen on his face before.
Suddenly, I'm overwhelmed by the beauty of his baby face and
gratitude for his glowing appreciation for my simple song.
 "Oh, you're so beautiful!" I say and, suddenly, great tears of joy well up from my heart, filling the space between my ears. I hide my reddening, ugly-cry face behind my hands.
Puzzled, he follows me with his eyes to learn what gives.
But I'm unable to mask my turned-down mouth with a goofy smile, and, in a moment, his chin begins to tremble with empathy and his tiny lips turn downward to match mine.
 Sobbing, he reaches his arms upward and I pull him to me in embrace.

We hold together, connected heart to heart, his chubby arms wrapped about my neck.
 At first, we sob loudly to let go of the urge to cry. Then our heartbeats, steady and sure, bring calm. Soon only a few, quiet sobs of air bobbling in his lungs are left. I hum softly behind his ear and we sway side-to-side with the music. For a minute longer, we hold together, fascinated by the mystery and wonder of this strange moment of connection, this kiss from God so alive with love.
 Then we turn to the mantel mirror to look at our tear-stained faces and smile again.

+      +      +

Down-to-earth souls we are, connecting by way of the senses--touching, tasting, seeing, hearing, and smelling our ways into each other's worlds. At times, we touch upon the pleasures of a sixth sense--the mysterious ability to know love in larger forms.

+ William Shakeseare
If music be the food of love, play on...

11 comments:

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Oh so gorgeous. So true. So symbiotic. I think we learn more from them and their keen senses...than we ever teach them.

Loved this!

Julie@beingRUBY said...

So beautiful Becky.. such wonderful words.. you've captured one of life's precious moments... being overwhelmed through pure love... Innocent love... Just wonderful!! xxx Julie

Dimple said...

Such a poignant moment, so well described. Thanks.

Susan Erickson said...

I can almost smell the baby smell. Connecting with a baby like that is beautiful, moving, bonding, and pure love. One of life's great moments. Thanks for sharing it so well....

Midlife Jobhunter said...

What a sweet moment you've capture. I thank you for sharing it.

lakeviewer said...

Oh, how sweet and lovely, singing and holding and smiling and touching. Love is life.

Barefoot from Heaven said...

Geez Becky you've got me into tears here.....what a lovely poem.

And such a way to walk back into your life...wonderful simply stunning.
Gladd to be in your space again.
See you around my love.
Hugs Dagmar

Anne Marie said...

that is beautiful Becky...such a nice way to enjoy my lunch reading that!

S. Etole said...

what a perfect moment for the two of you ...

Robyn said...

Beautiful!

Helen Young said...

Thank you for these beautiful words. I have been thinking and dreaming a lot about babies recently - since mine are now teens. I miss those tender moments. Is it crazy to say that I can't wait to be a grandmother?