Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Window Treatments

I confess to "having a good stare" whenever I walk about. I stare unabashedly at whatever objects seize my sensibilities or my camera's lens--architecture, nature, art--all with an eye toward stealing snippets and vignettes--photo treasures to take home for ever-longer stares. I'm particularly partial to windows and how they're decorated.

This window seems out of place on a German cobblestone street lined with shops. It hints of a cathedral or abbey but the space behind the windows has a semi-commercial quality. I wonder if the purpose of the building was altered by changes brought on by the Reformation--the window glass is missing but the side curtain of ivy softens the edges.

While pausing at an outdoor cafe in the heart of Austria's idyllic Salzkammeregut Lake District one morning, I am charmed by the cafe's main building and its eyes to the world. Everywhere in this fanciful Mozart-ish country, windows spill brilliant floral waterfalls from their ledges.

I'm enchanted by domestic scenes. This Italian window with a bamboo canopy for grapevines brings me to a standstill--so practical, so simple. Small-space decorating often comes up in my editorial work and this seems like a wonderful idea to pass on to others...a good example of getting the most from a tiny space.

19 comments:

Helen Young said...

I check everything out too! I guess I'm a gawker...Lovely images.

S. Etole said...

These all have so much character and beauty.

lakeviewer said...

What a beautiful aesthetics you bring to us. Thanks for sharing these.

What is so brilliant is the fact that your name matches your philosophy. Cool.

Aditi said...

Beautiful photography Abbey.....you bring meaning to them...

ELK said...

a "good stare" love that saying...you captured the buildings in so many creative angles...I am a starer as well!!

Robyn said...

I too like a good stare..... it's mostly nature at this point in time that I'm staring at.
the architecture in my surrounds doesn't hold much appeal.

I'll start looker closer now that you have mentioned it.

best wishes
Robyn

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Ooops. Sorry this keyboard eats up entire sentences!

Anyway...I was saying that I LOVE your images. Very "calgon take me away"...Gorgeous!

Linda P said...

Beautiful photos and thoughts, Becky. I love to stand for a while and gaze at the small details when out walking. You've reminded me of the poem by William Henry Davies:

What is this life if full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?

Mara said...

Oh, Becky! again a little piece of Italy in your And I also love the Austrian picture!!

Hugs!
Mara

mise said...

What lovely windows. With their cared-for, vernacular style, they're the outdoor equivalent of the crisp, comfortable and colorful look of farmhouse interiors.

Barefoot from Heaven said...

You know how to get my knees weak. Thanks for these beauties.
And even more so for your lovely prayers. Hugs D.

Stacey Dawn said...

Lovely - I enjoy a good "stare" or two as well!! ;o)

Shellbelle said...

I'm also drawn to windows and doorways, but my favorites are those of abandoned buildings or those who are now ruins. They make me wonder what happened there, who lived or worked there and gazed out those windows or walked through those doors?

I love the bamboo canopy, of course, I love anything made of bamboo.

I want to thank you for your thoughtful comments on my recent loss.

Susan Erickson said...

I'm so inspired by the window boxes...I agree that windows are so interesting....nice pics!

Pooch Morning Glory said...

thanks for sharing these.... they are gorgeous
~laura

Jeanne said...

I love all your little snippets Becky. I feel the same way..always scanning for that one thing that necessitates a click. It's the little things that are often the most beautiful. You have done that here!!

Jeanne:)

Jeanne Klaver said...

These photos are so lovely. The windows are like eyes...Like you, I love the way the flowers pour from the windows.

S and O said...

That is so gorgeous, windows or no windows that place rocks :D

Xoxo
Sarah