Sunday, March 21, 2010

When In Rome...


...eat, pray, love the food, the architecture, and the people's open spaces.
...sit on the Spanish Steps under starry skies. It's a good place for a kiss in the dark and a limoncello gelato.
...walk everywhere. It's safer than getting on a bus with pickpockets who easily spot the American tourista.
...touch the hand of God in the Sistene Chapel. Well, at least point. People are expected to hush themselves there but the Vatican hires a guy dressed in black to come out on a staircase every few minutes. There, in a deep voice, he shouts, "Silencio!!" The crowd quiets for a minute. Before long, their enthusiasm regains, the place hums with voices, and the man in black comes out again.
...wait for the Pope's Swiss Guard to appear and practice maneuvers. Chances are, the pope isn't there to be guarded.
...sob over Michelangelo's Pieta in St. Peter's Cathedral. Some idiot came in there with a sledge hammer once and beat on the sculpture to damage it. Now we can view it only through bullet-proof glass. :(
...walk in the ancient part of the city where Brutus and his buddies walked and talked. It's a ruin, of course, with barely a tree in sight but it's rich with history just the same.
...stare at the miracle of the Pantheon, walking around its spaces so well-lit by one grand skylight.
...sample paninis, red wine, fresh salads.
...watch the police.
...shop in the Galleria.
...but don't leave before you've tossed three coins in the fountain--Trevi Fountain, that is.

16 comments:

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

I am soooo ready. When do we leave????

Julie@beingRUBY said...

You're on !!!! so well put!!

Becky ... Fantastic photos!! All that lovely detail!!
I love bella Roma..one of my favourite cities.. and you are absolutely right.. better to walk .. i walked the entire city for days on end .. from the old centre to the vatican and back... good way to get fit... I have some funny stories about the Sistine Chapel.. but then again.. there's always a funny story with me.. Thanks for making me happy this Sunday night!!! Ciao bella!!!! xxx Julie

Julie@beingRUBY said...

just a tad excited thinking of Roma.. haha

Barefoot from Heaven said...

Hi Becky, wow I love these old buildings. And the way you've took these shots are amazing. Italy is one of my favorite countries to go visit for summer holidays. Not this year though, this year it will be Austria again.
Hugs Dagmar

Oh and thanks for your constant sweet words on my blog. You make lots of my days happy ones because of them.

lakeviewer said...

Oh! You're speaking my language here! Brava!

Ron said...

Yes, one does weep at the Pieta. It is incredibly beautiful. I almost never cry in front of art, but there I did. Linda

Dimple said...

This is a very good to-do list!

Do try monochrome, it's an interesting way to look at the world. I have not done much; John at Aware Writer has been an inspiration and encourager for me. Of course, he talks a lot about using film, and I have done just digital for quite a while, but the images on the computer screen are all digital anyway, so it doesn't matter much.

Susan S. said...

What a beautiful POST!!!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Italy. Got to spend two days in Rome and that wasn't enough, so I MUST go back. Have you been to Cinque Terra!?!? I love that part of Italy too.

And thanks for commenting on my dirty dog post. I'm sure you are right....It's only ME that care if he gets dirty....he LOVES to romp in mud puddles...just like human little boys. :)

Tina Steele Lindsey said...

I feel the warmth, ahhhh.

Tina Steele Lindsey said...

Thank you! I titled my painting by your comment and Helen Young's!

RuneE said...

Obviously the place to be - your post induced an immediate temptation for a trip to Rome.

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Hi Becky
Just wanted to say thank you to my #1 Fan.. hehehe... you made my day!! xxx Julie

Tonia said...

Oof, wish almost desperately I was in Rome, it's still so dark and cold here!
Thanks for commenting on my blog - don't feel like I'm broadcasting to the ether so much now!

mise said...

A handmade card giveaway, you say? I'll check back on the hour, every hour. But I'll hush now out of respect for Rome.

Susan Erickson said...

I'm so ready for a trip to Europe. It's been waaay too long. Love the reminder of all the beauty....

Jeanne Klaver said...

Count me in!