Monday, November 30, 2009

Pine Cone Wonder

So that's how they do it!

OK, so I live such a secluded life that I never knew how pine cones get to be pine cones. But here they are--female pinaceae cones right in front of my camera lens--lifting overlapping scales (I googled Wikipedia) from a central axis. The scales open temporarily to receive pollen, then close during fertilization and maturation. At maturity, they re-open again to allow the seed to escape.

Just in time for Christmas wreaths and decorations, fire starters, bird feeders, and toys.

3 comments:

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Love pinecones... what an amazing work of art!

Lorlee said...

Amazing, I never knew they did that -- only have seen them fully open.

Thanks

Dimple said...

Beautiful. I didn't know, either! I love learning new things from my blogger friends!